Friday, March 30, 2012

TRAVIS THE THOROUGHBRED
written by Rette Solomon



(Ceramic Paw Print Portrait
with Hoof Impression on Reverse-side
Custom-made by Paw Prints with a Purpose)

Travis is my Thoroughbred Horse. He is almost 17 hands which would be almost 5’ at his
shoulder. I have competed in one horse show with him…and it was very eventful.

The morning of the show, I had to get up at 4:30 AM (!) to get Travis and his friends at the barn.
When we arrived at the show, my particular show class was not going to be for a little while,
and we let Travis graze in the parking field. Travis breakfasted on the lush, green grass.

When it was finally time for my event to begin, Travis was by far the biggest horse in the ring.
Little ponies were trotting all around him and I felt very nervous and conspicuous.

When it was time to trot over poles, a special event in the competition, Travis trotted politely
over the first three, but when confronted with the fourth pole, he couldn’t resist. He took a
giant leap over the miniscule pole and cantered away, the Thoroughbred that he is.

Due to Travis’ enthusiasm, we placed 3rd out of 4 in that class. However, the remainder of the
day was much better with Travis and I placing 2nd in another class.

Recently, my instructor had another student (and her well behaved pony) and I canter over
poles once again. We are reminded that Travis still likes to leap over these small jumps. Maybe
his zest for jumping will be fulfilled when I finally get to jump 2 feet and higher!

No comments:

Post a Comment